The Racine area has a big heart! Residents generously donated a local record 705 winter clothing items, including coats, sweaters, gloves and hats, to "The Big Bundle Up" campaign conducted by Real Racine and the Wisconsin Department of Tourism. Area residents also contributed to a statewide record 22,510 items.
The program, held from Nov. 19 through Jan. 4, collected warm clothing for local charities. The Real Racine Visitor Center, Downtown Racine Corp., Greater Union Grove Area Chamber of Commerce, Waterford Area Chamber of Commerce, Victory Lane Full Service Car Wash and the office of Chelsea Guzzo, DDS served as donation sites.
Winter wear received in the Racine County drive was distributed to:
- The Salvation Army of Racine (coat drive).
- Thread by Thread, a clothing ministry of Bethania Lutheran Church, Racine.
- Burlington Transitional Living Center, an agency that provides temporary assistance to people in need of shelter and living essentials.
- Women’s Resource Center of Racine, an organization that provides crisis intervention, shelter and services to victims of domestic abuse.
- Union Grove Food Bank.
- Advancing Family Assets, a program of the United Way of Racine County.
- Racine Family YMCA's Focus on Fathers and Salsa Sabor y Salad programs.
"The Big Bundle Up" has collected more than 71,800 items for local charities during the past five years.